Monday, December 8, 2008

Leaf Raking

For the past two months I've been fundraising money for the Breast Cancer Fund by raking leaves!

To gather interested folks I created fliers and put them up around town at local markets, gyms, and coffee houses. My fliers asked for a $35 donation to BCF for clearing their yard of leaves... I was SO excited when I got my first leave raking request on Nov. 1st as I was moving into my new apartment. I made an appointment to rake their yard the next weekend.... little did I know how much work clearing a yard of leaves entailed!

The seemingly small front yard and fairly large backyard took me about 6 hours to rake and bag. The next house I raked I enlisted help from my boyfriend. We raked the front yard in about 3 hours and had to enlist more leaf raking solders to help out when we returned to finish the back yard! I'm very, very grateful for all the wonderful people that have responded to my "Got Leaves?" fliers around town! So far I have raked 3 yards and raised $310 towards my $10, 000 fundraising goal.

Luckily everyone took to heart my hours of hard work raking and bagging leaves and donated very generously above the $35 requested on my flyer. People really are nice and really do care.

Climb On,
Jess :)

p.s. I keep forgetting to take a camera with me to capture the action, but promise to take leaf raking pics soon to add to the blog!

No comments: