Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Climb is over, or is it?

The mountain was amazing. The climb, the people, the sights, the emotions - will never be forgotten.

I was put into a position of humbleness and reliance from the start when my luggage did not arrive to California when I did. The kindness and concern of the other climbers and Breast Cancer Fund staff were imminent from the very first day, and continued to amaze me all week.

Here is the mountain and our East Coast team, ready to start on this journey together. Our team of 6 consisted on 3 breast cancer survivors - Jennifer (FL), Amy (VT), and Deb (RI). The other three of us - Jess (VA), Victoria (VA), and Meg (VT) were not survivors ourselves, but all had too many people and stories close to us that involved battles lost and won against breast cancer. Our fearless leaders, Mount Shasta Guides, were Ben and Dane.



Base camp at Hidden Valley (9,500 ft) was AMAZING - the pictures don't give it justice, but here they are....


We awoke dark and early at 2 am and had our crampons on and we climbing at 3 am.

This was a super cool site and the sunlight started to lighten the sky and cast Shasta's shadow on the land below.

Jess and Deb roped together and going UP!

After almost 10 hours of this (above) the summit was in sight!


Getting closer....


CLOSER...............................


One last push to the top -----


MADE IT!!

WHOOHOOO!!!!!


The view from the top was amazing of course, but like they say - the summit is just the place you turn around! Now time to go back down, but my strength - and the strength of those who helped me get here - will not be left behind or forgotten.


"So, how was it you ask?"

It was awesome. Having trained and prepared and fundraised for 8 months I was ready for this; I was ready to climb this mountain.

The climb itself started around 3 in the morning, which after no sleep was pretty darn early and I was a bit sleepy, but my team needed to me climb, just as I needed my team to climb. Together we set our rhythm of one step at a time up the mountain.

The energy of the team was inspiring and the focus and rhythm of each step, each breathe, was meditative. I knew I could make it to the top, but it was a harder climb and journey than I had imagined when in town looking up at the slopes and peak of this mountain. Now, on the hearty, steep slopes with my crampons digging into the snow and my ice axe steadying me the climb was real and it was strenuous.

On the mountain I learned that you not only have to dig deep within yourself to find strength in hard, trying, and tiring times, but you have to absorb the energy, love, joy, and strength of those on the journey with you as well. For this climb it was the energy and determination and strength of my climb team, the guides, and other BCF climbers on the mountain that flowed into me and helped me do more than I could do alone - reach the summit.

My take away lesson is that we all have love, energy, skills, and smiles to offer each other along the way - through all the hills, peaks, and valleys of this life. Sometimes we need them from others and must accept this. Other times, we simply need to offer them to others. Together we can get higher, and accomplish more, than we ever could alone.


Thank you all.

Climb On,

Jess










www.breastcancerfund.org/climb09/Jbarton

3 comments:

Allison Dorbad said...

awesome - congrats for accomplishing this!

Shirley said...

WOW that was a wonderful update. Would it be ok if I link it to my blog? Thank you for this. Great Pictures.
http://me2u4fun.blogspot.com/

wen360 said...

Nicely put, Jess. Congrats to you...and to all of us!