Thursday, June 4, 2009

Endurance Hike - Three Ridges

Last weekend I decided to go on an endurance hike with longer miles and lots of elevation gain, but less weight. The trails were in Three Ridges Wilderness area. I started at Reedy Gap off the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiked the AT/Mua-Har loop that included Bee Mountain and Three Ridges Mountain. The AT started up from Reedy Gap as a cleared path over a meadow, but soon turned into woods and ran uphill along the spine of Bee Mountain.

Looking out from the second rock outcrop just at the saddle of Three Ridge Mountain, you get a great view of The Priest just across the Valley.

Me pointing to the summit of Three Ridges Mountian where I'm heading....

After passing up and over Three Ridges it was down, down, down many switchbacks to Harpers Creek. There is an AT shelter here along the cascading creek, a very nice place to spend the night I'm sure!
After crossing Harpers Creek it was back up, up, up all the elevation I'd just lost. After a mile or so the AT brought me to the Mau-Har trail, which I took back to Reedy Gap. The Mau-Har followed the cascades of Campbell's Creek for about 4 more miles.


Hiking up along all the waterfalls and cascads was gorgeous, but it was very very hot and humid and I was getting a bit dehydrated and tired by this point!

Finally, after 13 miles and 8 hours of strenuous hiking, I made it back to the meadow and the car, where a bottle of hot, but delicious water awaited me!





Climb On,
Jess


www.breastcancerfund.org/Climb09/Jbarton

No comments: